Hogys are big - maybe bigger than the soft plastics you're used to fishing. Hogys have been successfully tested all over the country and abroad, by the Hogy Lure Co. and by professionals and recreational fisherman, on dozens of fresh and saltwater species.
The 10-inch Original Hogy is the most popular. They're great for imitating larger baits such as eels, bunker, squid, mullet, etc. As with all Original Hogy models, they are designed to be fished with the Hogy Quick Rig System, which allows for greater hook up ratios. For the traditionalist, they work quite effectively with 6/0 and 7/0 offset worm-style hooks and jig heads up to one ounce in weight.
Original Hogy Tandem Quick Rigs are designed to withstand even school sized blue fin tuna. They are made with heavy monofilament and crimps. The hooks used are from Eagle Claw’s Lazer™ heavy duty live bait series. Not only are they indestructible, the heavy nature of the hooks serves as an excellent keel for the Hogy, ensuring superior action, even in surf.
10 Inch Hogy: Slinky Profile, Fluid Action, Versatile Rigging
Hogy Lure Co Recommendations by Species
- Function: The 10" Hogy is the most universal design in terms of catching large gamefish. It's just big enough for the largest of saltwater predators such as striped bass, tarpon and school tuna but also "just small enough" for largemouth and musky trophy hunters who use big baits in fresh water. The 10" Hogy can be tandem rigged, Texas rigged or used on 1 ounce jig heads.
- Action: While the 10" Hogy still walks the dog like a traditional jerk bait, it does so sinuously, almost in an eel like fashion. Designed to be fished fast or slow, it's head to toe action drives fish crazy. Is it a large bait fish? An eel? Or a snake? Answer depends on who you ask… All we know is that this bait is deadly.
Video - See the 10 Inch Hogy In Action
- Largemouth Bass: All colors, 11/0 Worm Hooks.
- Striped Bass: All Colors, 11/0 Worm Hooks, Grip Hooks, Tandem Hogy Quick Rig, Hogy Tin.
- Snook: Black, Chartreuse and Bone: 7/0 Worm Hook, 6/0 Grip Hook.
- Tarpon: Amber, Bone, Black: 11/0 Worm Hook, 6/0 Grip Hook.
- Big Redfish: Amber, Bone, Chartreuse: 11/0 Worm Hook.
- Tuna: Amber, Bone, Black: Heavy Gauge 11/0 Worm Hook, 7/0 10'' Hogy Tandem Rig.
Overall Rating for 10 Inch Original Hogy
|(based on 1 review)|
Stars based on
West Point, NY
I would recommend this item to a friend.
Good soft plastic
January 1, 2014
As an avid surf fisherman here in the northeast, I always have a few of these in my surf bag. My favorite size is the 10" but I have them in 14" too and will usually throw that size when I know there are bigger fish around. Fishing mostly at night, I prefer black. However, I love the white for sunrise/sunset worked slowly on top. Something about the action when it's worked on the surface just drives stripers nuts and the hits are explosive! What I love most about the Hogy is its versatility. It can be rigged and worked in a number of ways. For deeper channels or inlets I rig it up with a 1 to 3 ounce jig head and fish it like a buck tail with a slow to moderate retrieve with a few twitches of the rod tip thrown in. For more shallow water or moderate surf conditions I fish it double rigged like I would a rigged eel, with a moderate retrieve and making sure it stays below the surface. I'll also twitch it occasionally during the retrieve with short pauses. The fish usually hit it on the pause using this method. All in all, the Hogy is a great soft plastic. It is versatile and can be fished under a number of conditions. I only rated it at 4 stars due to its limited color availability. Other than that, it's a good soft plastic. Get some, you won't be sorry!
Pros:Versatile, durable and has great action
10 Inch Original Hogy