Penn FTH40 Fathom Star Drag Reel
Our Best Holiday Offers
Extended Cyber Week Deals
FREE Economy Shipping on Orders Over $49 - No Code
$4.99 - 2 Day Shipping on Orders Over $99 - No Code
Returns Extended Until 1/31/17
Current Active Promotions
|Mono Cap. (yds/lb)||Braid Cap. (yds/lb)||Bearings||Max Drag||Gear Ratio||Line Retrieve||Weight||Price|
|5+1||25 lbs||6.0:1||40 in||18.7 oz||$219.95 USD|
The Penn Fathom Star Drag, with the revolutionary Live Spindle design, is the most castable reel in the market place. The improved configuration allows the spool to spin independently of the spindle and pinion gear, which significantly reduces friction experienced from the extreme acceleration of the spool when casting. Other reels using a ''fixed spindle'' design slow the rotation of the spool and reduce casting distance. Additionally the Live Spindle improves the retrieve of the reel because the spindle and pinion do not need to turn relative to each other during heavy loads, unlike a ''fixed spindle'' reels that result in a difficult retrieve and erratic drag.
Penn Fathom Star Drag features:
- Full metal body and sideplates keep precise gear alignment under heavy loads
- Machine-cut marine grade bronze main gear with hardened stainless steel pinion
- Versa-Drag system with HT-100 washers. By rearranging the sequence of the keyed metal washers and eared HT-100 washers the reel can be set up for fishing a wide range of drag settings without additional parts.
- Live Spindle Design with free floating spool
- Internally adjustable centrifugal braking system
- Line Capacity Rings eliminate the question of how muchline you have left when fighting a fish. The three lines on the spool flange let you know when you have 1/3, 2/3 or a full spool of line. These lines also give you a benchmark for backing your superlines with monofilament.
- 5+1 shielded stainless steel bearing system
- Instant anti-reverse bearing with silent back up ratchet
5 Stars based on 3 reviews
Fast spool great surf reel cast's well
November 23, 2016
I bought these reel for surf fishing on beaches for shark very lively spool but casts really well once you adjust the centrifugal brakes a bit. overall easy to clean loud clicker.
May 21, 2016
I got to use it snapper fishing in the gulf and hooked a very large shark 220# ...no problems It replaced an ageing sealine h600 and i will be replacing the other five sealines also..
ProsGreat feature is defined click on the drag and spool tension knobs Smooth and strong drag presure
Consnone great reel
Nice Conventional reel
December 1, 2015
Great reel for inshore fishing. Has a stronger drag system then the Squalls for fighting larger fish. Reel is smooth and handle is position nice for cracking down while fighting the fish.
2 Questions & 2 Answers
from Texas asked:
October 12, 2014
How wide is this reel
The reel body is 3.75" wide.
on October 13, 2014
from simi valley,ca asked:
August 7, 2012
does the FTH40 come in a narrow design
No, the 25N is a narrow.
on August 7, 2012
Our Price: $12.00
Our Price: $299.95
Our Price: $319.95
Our Price: $239.99
Our Price: $25.99