Donnmar Checkpoint CP850EX Stainless Pliers
|Stainless Steel Pliers||$134.99 USD|
Donnmar Checkpoint CP850EX Stainless Plier
- Constructed from 17-4 Stainless Steel.
- Non-slip rubber grips molded integral with handle.
- Replaceable line cutters consist of anvil and cutter, both constructed of tungsten carbide and diamond ground for sharpness. Cuts new technology fiber braided lines, up to four-hundred-fifty pound monofilament, as well as one-hundred-eighty pound stainless line.
- Sleeve bearing is machined from solid brass and is electroless nickel plated to give years of corrosion protection with non-seizure operation.
- The CP850EX Pliers weigh five ounces, are three eights of an inch thick and measure six and one half inches in total length.
- The jaws are alloyed with titanium carbide for an excellent grip without damaging the hook.
- A custom fitted Cordura™ sheath is supplied with pliers.
- The CP850EX has channel cut grooves machined into the jaws and an internally mounted return spring.
, Stapleton, AL
So far.... they're okay
January 25, 2017
I read many reviews and did my homework before I purchased these pliers. I like many others have spent plenty of money on several pairs of "cheap" pliers over the years. I bought these about 3 months ago. They grab braid extremely well. They have a fine "grit" surface on the end of the jaws instead of teeth. They cut braid pretty well. With my pair it cuts braid excellent at one end of the cutter. But if you place the braid towards the other end of the cutter it is not a clean cut and you have to pull the line a little to get it to separate. The only issue I had with mine is they rusted a good bit about a month after I bought them. I wash all my rods, boga, and pliers after every trip. That time I left the pliers in my lean post and did not clean them. It was a light surface rust (no pitting). I cleaned them up with an SOS pad and they look like new. I read somewhere that sometimes they can get some rust on them when they're brand new because of something about coming straight out of the mold and having residual metal on them. I've had them in saltwater since and they haven't rusted any more. Fit and finish of the rubber handle is mediocre. But so far they are doing good and I have been pleased with them. As long as they do not rust any more I will be extremely happy with my purchase. The pictures show some of the rust by the cutter that I couldn't get to, also shows the "grit" surface, and shows the rubber handle (you can't tell much in that picture but there's a gap between the front of the rubber and the pliers. The rubber is fine and grips good but they didn't really focus on fit and finish)
Boca Raton, Florida
May 25, 2016
I have owned these pliers for at least fifteen years. I was given them as a gift, and I keep them on the boat, in the open, and use them whenever I fish. They have never rusted despite use and abuse in saltwater and humid conditions in all that time. Frankly, they are amazing pliers to have lasted so long. Looking for new replacement blades, mine are a bit dull after almost two decades of use.
ProsNever rusted in over 15 years. Best damn fishing pliers I've ever used.
ConsBlades have gotten dull after 15 years. Other than that, no cons.
New York, NY
December 24, 2014
I bought these because I thought they would be more durable than the aluminum pliers with the steel inserts for the jaws. So far they have performed beautifully. They're a bit heavier than VS, but I couldn't justify spending 3x as much for VS pliers.
10+ years of use
February 4, 2014
Didn't realize how much I spent on these lol. These are the cheapest ones they make but are well worth it. My dad's 900 series went over board recently and rather than replace them with a cheap pair he went back and got the same donmars to fill his leather sheath now his are feathered like mine :p
ProsGreat design High quality Never rust Nice nylon and Velcro case
1 Question & 1 Answer
from St. Augustine, FL asked:
November 10, 2014
Where can I order replacement line cutters?
Hello Jeff. Replacement cutters can be ordered direct from Donnmar Enterprises. They can be reached at (315)896-2606. Please feel free to contact us if you have any more questions!
on November 10, 2014
Our Price: $12.00
Our Price: $299.95
Our Price: $319.95
Our Price: $239.99
Our Price: $25.99