Penn SQL60LD Squall Lever Drag Reel
|Mono Cap. (yds/lb)||Braid Cap. (yds/lb)||Bearings||Max Drag|
|Gear Ratio||Line Retrieve||Weight||Price|
|5+1||20 lbs||30 lbs||4.3:1||35 in||28.1 oz||$179.95 USD|
Penn designed the Squall Lever Drag reels with function and ergonomics at the top of the list. The lever drag does not protrude above the frame of the reel. This means there is no way for the line to loop over and hang up on the lever of the Squall Lever Drag.
- Lightweight graphite frame and sideplates
- Forged and machined aluminum spool
- High-strength marine grade bronze main and pinion gear
- Dura-Drag washers virtually eliminate hesitation, even underextreme drag settings
- Switchblade harness lugs (50 & 60 sizes only)
- Ratcheted drag lever prevents ''drag creep'' caused by hours of trolling and vibrations
- Line Capacity Rings
- 5+1 Shielded stainless steel bearing system
- Instant anti-reverse bearing with silent back up ratchet
Penn Squall Lever Drag Innovative Features:
- Versa-Handle System - Are you bottom fishing or trolling? Are you looking for power or speed? Penn's Versa-Handle System allows the angler to choose how long the handle should be in less than a minute; tools are included with each reel. Assemble the reel in the long position for more power; assemble in the short position for more speed, your choice.
- Line Capacity Rings eliminate the question of how much line you have left when fighting a fish. The three lines on the spool flange let you know when you have 1/3rd, 2/3rd, or a full spool of line. Also if you respool often these lines give you a benchmark for backing your superlines with monofilament which will help eliminate wasted time and line.
- Switchblade Harness Lugs give you all the benefits of traditional lugs without the risk of grabbing loose line and potentially breaking off fish. When the lugs are not in use they remain flush with the reel frame, when you need them they easily pop up with the tip of your finger. The other benefit of the proprietary Switchblade harness lugs is basic ergonomics. Letís face it, harness lugs can be uncomfortable when you are palming the reel on the cast or retrieve. If you donít plan to use the lugs then stow them in the down position and you have one of the most ergonomic reels on the market. Included on 50 & 60 sizes only.
June 12, 2016
Exactly what was expected, all pros no cons.
June 4, 2016
Overall this is a great reel, it has great drag and holds a ton of line. Definitely recommend this reel if you are fishing for large fish such as tuna, sailfish, medium sized sharks, and lots of other large game fish.
ProsLots of Line Good Drag Good Casting with Light Line
Cape Cod, MA
Corroded spools after one season
November 20, 2015
I purchased two Penn squalls this season (SQL50LW and SQL60LD) to replace my older Penn GTI reels used mainly for striped bass fishing. I have been very impressed with the reel performance but extremely disappointed with how both spools have held up after only one season. The spools quickly became corroded even with vigorously washing the reels after each saltwater use. My GTI setups remained corrosion free after 8+ years of similar fishing and washing patterns. I have always fished Penn reels exclusively because I know the reel will function properly and land fish for many years to come. Unfortunately, the materials used in the new Penn Squall reels just do not seem to be the same quality of older Penn models. This review has been posted on the Penn website, however, Penn seems to remove negative reviews of their products.
By Jimmy Team Cortezano
San Carlos, MX
Great reels but not without flaws
November 7, 2015
I own over two dozen Penn Reels including six Squall 60 LDs. They perform just as well as my Internationals but they are not without flaws. We troll naked ballyhoo for billfish with little drag and depend on the clickers to keep the line from playing out. The clickers break on these reels. I have sent three back to Penn for repairs and am getting ready to send two more. The "switchblade" harness lugs are a liability, not an asset. With a fish on, they are very difficult to pull out of their recesses and snap into--it usually requires help from someone else, especially with a big fish. I can't believe they were extensively field tested or these two defects would have been discovered. That said, they are my go-to reels for everyday use for sailfish and marlin because they are light and the drag holds up well. I have caught hundreds of billfish up to 600 pounds and they perform just fine. They are a good value but I just wish Penn would have spent a day on the deck of my boat during a hot bite. If they had, they would surely have addressed the defects in the clickers and eliminated the hideaway harness lugs. Without those problems, I would have given them 5 stars but I won't buy any more unless these defects are fixed.
ConsClickers break and switchblade harness lugs are a pain to use.
By Damon V Tomeo
Solid Reel So Far
July 28, 2015
Purchased this reel as an entry level reel for my new boat to start trolling for bigger fish off shore. So far has worked well no complaints would by more. Also have 4 SQL40 LD's and have so far bought in a 30 and 50 pound drum fish with them and also a 40-50lb Yellow fin. They have definitely exceeded my expectations.
ProsWorks well for the price.
New York, NY
Great for trolling or heavy bottom fishing
May 12, 2015
Have two of these spooled up with 100 lb Momoi Diamond Braid and they make for fantastic trolling reels, but I have also found them excellent for heavy bottom fishing setups for large grouper/sharks or live-lining big baits for big pelagics. As always, Penn delivers again on this one, and at the price, it's worth putting a few of these in your arsenal.
July 10, 2014
Penn says it all. Defiantly for the price it is excellent! I have had no issues with my squall. I've had it for about 7 months now and use it heavily every weekend. I spooled mine with 700 yds of 100lb braid with 60lb mono backing. I use this reel for medium size sharks. 5-10 feet and had no issues with the drag slipping or locking up. My advice, BUY OT!!
ProsPrice, line capacity, Drag, and over all quality
ConsNone that I have found.
Our Price: $29.99
Our Price: $299.99
Starting at $5.99
Our Price: $29.49
Our Price: $6.99