Re-engineered for 2020, the Shimano Metanium MGL B Baitcasting Reels utilize never before seen technologies to achieve the pinnacle in baitcasting reel performance. The newest iteration of the renowned Metanium line of reels boasts a cutting edge body design that easily cements it as the most advanced Metanium to date. Featuring a revolutionary single-piece Magnesium CoreSolid Body, the Metanium MGL B takes strength and rigidity to heights previously unreached by low-profile reels. The CoreSolid Body design enhances sensitivity by more efficiently facilitating the transmission of vibrations to the angler's hands, giving them more opportunity to pick up on even the most subtle tick and bump of their lure, even on slack line. The magnesium frame material is extremely lightweight and offers superior corrosion resistance in freshwater environments. Housed within the single-piece frame is an all-new MicroModule main gear system cut from solid brass, which is a significant upgrade over the previous generation?s aluminum gear. Crafted from a much harder and stronger metal, these new gears provide longer lasting, reliable performance with the unparalleled smoothness anglers have come to expect from Shimano's fine toothed MicroModule Gear. For the ultimate experience in precision, long distance casting, the Metanium MGL B is fitted with an MGL III Spool. These ultra-lightweight, high velocity spools reduce spool inertia by 17% compared to the previous generation, allowing for superior casting distance with lighter lures that are notoriously more difficult to cast. Difficult casting scenarios such as skipping jigs under docks or casting light baits into the wind will become easier with the MGL III spool, as the lower spool inertia allows the SVS Infinity braking system a wider range of adjustability for maximum control with all ranges of lures. With a full line-up of proprietary Shimano technologies, the Shimano Metanium MGL B represents the pinnacle in baitcasting reel performance.
Shimano Technology Found In Metantium MGL B Baitcasting Reels:
- Micro Module Gear - State-of-the-art gear design makes use of smaller gear teeth and more of them, which results in a more efficient gear train and much smoother retrieve.
- X-Ship - By supporting the pinion gear on both ends with bearings, the pinion gear remains in precise alignment with the drive gear and stays in the same position under even the heaviest of loads. This eliminates friction between the spool shaft and gear which translates to better casting performance and increased gear durability.
- Hagane Body - A reel body with high rigidity, which virtually eliminates body flexing due to its stiffness and impact resistance. The result? An angler?s actions are more efficiently transformed into cranking power. It?s efficiency through strength.
- MGL Spool - Lightweight spool design significantly reduces the moment of inertia, allowing the angler to experience greater casting distance and accuracy with a wide variety of lures.
- Shimano Stable Spool Design (S3D) - S3D Technology utilizes a balanced and uniform thin wall aluminum spool to significantly reduce spool vibration and increase smoothness when casting and retrieving.
- Silent Tune - By applying slight pressure to the bearing supporting the spool, Silent Tune reduces spool vibration during the cast which results in quieter casting and smoother spool rotation with less play.
- Cross Carbon Drag - Allows for a wider range of drag settings, enhanced drag washer durability, and the smoothest Shimano drag performance ever.
- SVS Infinity - Provides easy to manage, consistent spool control and brake force that is easily adjusted as conditions change. Brake weights use inner friction against the raceway during the cast for precision casting even when using lighter lures. The external adjustment knob provides quick, precise adjustments on the fly for when conditions or baits change.
- S A-RB Bearings - These bearings undergo the same anti-corrosion process as Shimano?s A-RB Bearings, with the addition of shields on both sides of the bearings to reduce the possibility of salt, dirt, or other foreign objects inhibiting the bearing?s rotation.
- Super Free Spool - SFS was designed to eliminate friction on the spool shaft during the cast. The pinion gear is supported by a ball bearing, which keeps the gear in perfect alignment with the spool shaft to eliminate friction for longer casts and smoother operation.
- Core Solid Body - Core Solid Body combines the side Plate, levelwind guard, and frame into one solid piece. This is the first of its design in a low-profile baitcasting reel and eliminates frame flex, which provides an unprecedented feeling of rigidity and sensitivity.